A Desert is basically the sterile zone of land where little rainfall occurs and subsequently, living conditions are unreceptive for life of Desert Plants and Desert Animal. The lack of vegetation disclosures the vulnerable surface of the ground for the developments of denudation. Worlds about one third land surface are Scorched or Semi-arid.
It is an area covered with Sand or Rocks. It is the area where there is little precipitation.
The plants found in deserts are highly specialized plants which have reduced leaves and thick cuticles to prevent water loss. Common plant species of these deserts are:
Like the hot and dry deserts, the plants here are highly specialized in conserving water. They have reduced leaves known as spines and thick cuticles.
Common plants found here are:
The plants in Coastal desert apart from having thick leaves and stems have an extensive root system which draws maximum water whenever there is rainfall.
The stems of these plants can store a large amount of water for later use. Examples are:
Buck Wheat Bush,
little Leaf Horse Bush.
Desert For Kids
Here are the Fun Facts regarding Desert Biome for kids are described below:
- Sahara desert is the largest hottest desert in the world.
- Antarctica is the largest coldest desert in the World.
- Approximately, about 20.9 million square areas of the planet comprised of Desert.
- In the Desert, various animals are Nocturnal.
- Nocturnal animals hide in burrows in the day time and come on the sand surface at the night time when its cold outside.
- Desert plants have padded leaves that store water during the drought.
- Antarctica is an extremely cold place for individuals to live for an extended time period.